" + data[0].date + ""); It all come down to the quality of the materials used, the detailed labor at time of construction. Tie the knot close to the bottom hook as snapper are bottom feeders. However, before picking one of these locations, I usually consult ‘Uncle Google’ and visit swellmap.com to find the best conditions and wind directions, as well as sea temperatures. You want your bait to land in the strike zone. It could be a coincidence, but before torpedos became popular, members of the Pania Surfcasting Club in Napier used to catch a lot more big snapper than they do these days. $("#minor1").html(" " + data[0].minor1); Accessibility Help. year+=1900; These are traditional fishing spots where snapper are caught annually. $('#loadingmessage').hide(); // hide the loading message Any, or all, of these could give up a 10kg snapper at any time during the pre-spawn gathering. It’s all about timing and technique rather than power as some people think. var date=(daym+"-"+montharray[month]+"-"+year); Had Bones not driven off, he may have experienced a rather hectic evening, as the snapper continued to bite well for another couple of hours! Fuji guides with … $("#major3").html(" " + data[1].major1); Some anglers use lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed to cast the whole baitfish when targeting big snapper from shore. But if you want to have a most memorable trip, maybe even the red snapper trip of a lifetime, you need to target big red snapper, huge red snapper! $("#major1").html(" " + data[0].major1 ); // The type of request. A good headlamp can also be very useful, as can a spotlight, but avoid flashing light around carelessly in the surf as it can spook the fish coming into the shallows to feed. To the south there are similarly famous spots, such as Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton. Last October I pulled up to Mohaka Beach an hour before dark to catch up with a mate who’d landed a nice 10.5kg snapper two days earlier around midday. A local sports dealer runs a kontiki/torpedo (long-line) competition for them at the height of the big snapper season during the Labour Weekend holidays. Whatever rig configuration utilised at the time, hooks in sizes 4/0 or 5/0 are all that’s necessary – I do not believe you need to throw the largest bait out to catch a horse-sized snapper – but make sure they’re ultra-sharp. If so, I race over and check for anything on the end, as not all big snapper will haul the rod hard over at this time of year (I’ve had a couple 20lb-plus fish simply lift the sinker and swim slightly towards the beach). The added advantage of this is that the bait becomes more noticeable to any passing fish – but does become a target for kahawai too, which are suckers for floated baits. $('#tbodyid').html(''); // Clear #tbodyid div var year=mydate.getYear(); BOS Breakout Sinkers are without doubt the best all-round sinker I use in the surf, enabling my rods to be set firmly with a nice even bend in them, minimising the amount of weed and sticks that catch on their line in the surf zone. In the southern parts they target blue moki, elephant fish and rig. dataType: "json", }); $("#major4").html(" " + data[1].major2); data : dataString, $("#major4").html(" " + data[1].major2); Here, Craig Worthington discusses how to cat... more >. What follows are some basic preparations I undertake before hitting the beach, as well as what to look for in a fishing spot, and some basic baits and rigs that will hopefully help you to capture that submarine-sized trophy snapper this spring. dataString = $("#caldata").serialize(); var timezone = jstz.determine(); $('#date_time').datepicker( }); $('#loadingmessage').show(); // show the loading message. if (daym<10){ daym="0"+daym;} dataString = $("#caldata").serialize(); $("#minor3").html(" " + data[1].minor1); You’ve been waiting all year for that big red October snapper to come snooping through the surf to find your bait, so make sure your offering and presentation are tops! Here, Craig Worthington discusses how to cat... more >. The Stray-Line and Running Sinker rigs … $(function() However, I can always button off on ‘the spinach’ and drop baits closer to shore if conditions are right. The Gamakatsu Octopus circle hook is my favourite hook – especially in sizes 4/0 to 6/0 – at this time of the year. These are followed by the schools of yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta and, lastly, snapper. Live shrimp work great for a number of fish species and that includes the mangrove snapper. Nothing too fancy required here. As already mentioned, I like to have a variety of traces made up for different situations, but find myself predominantly using self-made long-cast pulley rigs to streamline my cast for maximum casting distance if needed. And although the ‘slacky’ won’t always result in a hook-up, if the sinker wires have pulled, it’s still encouraging to know I’ve most likely had a bite. This strategy enables the snapper to gain condition fast before spawning takes place in early summer. ).datepicker("getDate"); $.ajax({ When hooked, big snapper often run out 100m and come to the surface – I’ve even seen them jump right out of the water! New Zealand Fishing News Most seem to be males and are putting on weight and condition so they’re ready for spawning. A good scrap followed, resulting in a 5kg snapper on the sand. Sections of this page. $("#minor1").html(" " + data[0].minor1); The smaller females stay out in the deeper water, where they gather in spawning areas such as the ‘Wairoa Hard’ out from Waikare and Mohaka Beaches. var daym=mydate.getDate(); Generally my baits are the size of my thumb – such baits don’t reduce my casting distance, as big baits do. { Not all surf bags are the … var mydate=new Date(); North of Napier the fishing spots are legendary: North Shore Road, Gill Road, Le Quesne Road, Whirinaki and Tangoio. A 20 minute walk from the base of Farewell Spit car park. Strong west and nor’west winds flatten the sea and draw the baitfish – whitebait, anchovies and pilchards – inshore. $(document).one("ready",function(){ Line weights are up to you. Longer rod length is needed for casting any sort of distance. success: function( data ){ var timezone = jstz.determine(); I suspect that there is only a finite number of fish that come in each year, and that long-liners are harvesting many before they get to the surfcasters’ baits. During summertime, a number o... more >, Kirk Davis shares some tips on where to find fish on the jet ski in summer.... more >, John Walkley is an experienced saltwater and freshwater fisherman who has fished extensively in both NZ and Australia. Although it is true … I like somewhere in between – ideally a metre or so of surf when fishing one of the many Hawkes Bay beaches I favour. Whilst large snapper can be caught almost any month during the year somewhere on our coast, these October fish follow the massive schools of pilchards and anchovies into the surf zone under huge kahawai boil ups, picking off the slower baitfish, grabbing any opportunistic scraps, and smashing any crabs lured out by the chance for a free feed. Okuma Solaris Surf Casting Rods are constructed on IM-6 graphite blanks to deliver a proven combination of lightweight handling, responsiveness and exceptional durability. $("#caldata").submit(function(e){ If you use a snapper popper, toss it out and immediately give it a good couple of tugs. Reels need good drag systems. The traces can vary in length to suit long-cast pulley rigs, running rigs, or two-hook ledgers – some as flashers, and with or without bling (lumo skirts, beads, floats etc), to cover any beach type you may be fishing. This also aids in bite detection: if my back is turned or I’m busy with a second rod, I’m able to instantly see if my rod has straightened. Don’t stress about what bait to use if chasing a big snapper on a Hawkes Bay beach. As they then send their long-lines (25 hooks) out up to 2km from shore, they cover a lot more water than the 60-100 metres the surfcasters can with their rods and bait. But if you’re serious about getting the big one, a live bait is necessary. There are many different types, shapes, and sizes of surfcasting hooks to choose from. $("#minor4").html(" " + data[1].minor2); Then, just as I beached that fish, my other rod belted over and a very feisty, solid snapper took off down the beach. Choose from half day/ full day or surfcasting tours. The big snapper that come into the beaches are targeted by boaties and surfcasters alike. When surf casting the main consideration is accuracy. } He was 10kg (22lb) and took a slice of tinned trevally bait. $("#minor4").html(" " + data[1].minor2); minDate:new Date(2007, 1 - 1, 1), url: 'https://www.bitetimes.fishing/cgi-bin/fishing.cgi', Again we are going to keep it simple. type: "post", 8 talking about this. On flatter beaches the increased casting distance becomes more important. Big snapper can be caught in almost any surf conditions, from millpond flat to four-metre breaking surf. Furthermore, bluefish don’t have as large of a mouth as striped bass, but a big sharp circle hook is a … Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited. This month is also the time when the more seasoned anglers come out of their winter hibernation and start applying more time and effort into targeting these legendary beasts, which often surpass the magical 20lb (9.1kg) mark and can even push past 30lb (13.6kg)! $("#major1").html(" " + data[0].major1 ); As far as moon phases go, I love fishing night-time full moons for big snapper – the daytime fishing can be slow at this phase, though. }); All information © 2020 The Fishing Website, NZ Fishing News 2020 Christmas Gift Guide, Kingfish on Saltwater fly - fishing the flats. I decided this was too good an opportunity to pass up; there had to be snapper near all this activity. The basic answer to this is to get a big, strong, and durable rod. These are followed by the schools of yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta and, lastly, snapper. minDate:new Date(2007, 1 - 1, 1), This article is reproduced with permission of    You can’t hate the wind in Hawkes Bay, though. Casting rigs to improve your surf casting distance and range. Unfortunately, the beaches are also inundated with torpedo fishermen. $("#major3").html(" " + data[1].major1); var month=mydate.getMonth(); This enables me to pick a spot on the beach where there is a more noticeable sand bar or reef structure that is getting washed about (indicated by white-water surf breaks), ideally just out of casting distance, so I can deposit my baits into the channel inside the structure – or, alternatively, to the prevailing current side. $.ajax({ }); Distance-casting rods may help, but a lot of these fish are hooked just behind the surf break, where the bottom is stirred by wave action. $(function(){ var daym=mydate.getDate(); Kane Wigglesworth shares some tips and techniques to … document.getElementById('date_time').value= date ; Either Black Magic Fluoro or Berkley Pro Spec fits the bill nicely here. Is it still shiny and free of abrasion? } I generally choose not to use a gaff to secure a large fish in the surf, as I’ve seen too many good fish lost by careless gaff swipes and lunges. And what’s your main line like? X. HOUHORA FISHING CHARTERS ONLINE BOOKING FORM. $("#major2").html(" "+ data[0].major2); I have seen many a snapper caught just in behind the wave break on steep, shelving, shingle beaches. $('#loadingmessage').hide(); // hide the loading message if (year < 1000){ The author's favourite rig for catching big snapper; a small sinker, lumo bead and two sharp hooks. Snappers are a … var mydate=new Date(); } }); It comes in sizes of 2-1/2 inch .6 ounce, 3-3/8 inch 1.2 ounces, 3-7/8 … I’ve also noticed that sudden fronts and storms – thunderstorms in particular – get them biting something chronic. The long-cast pulley rig covers me for all the beach types I fish, whether wading a surf beach like the Ninety Mile or Mahanga, or fishing a deep-water beach like Blacks Beach or Whakaki. I have observed that most of my daytime captures of big snapper have come when large-swell conditions and/or discoloured water are present, the murk perhaps allowing the big brutes to sneak up on their prey in daylight. It fishes best for kings and trevs in flat clean conditions, and better for snapper in a big … Pick the right circle hook for success in today’s sea of options. Simply lower your rod angle and lead the fish in the direction you want it to go. Drags need to be smooth so that lines are not broken when these fish accelerate away. Brent Rolston of the Feilding Surfcasting Club releases a snapper of approximately seven kilograms at Waverley. dataType: "json", } (I’ve witnessed anglers lose solid fish due to the line snapping, then blame it on their line for being too light or, even worse, faulty – until they eventually find out otherwise.). $(document).one("ready",function(){ $("form#caldata").submit(); If you fish at night, tip lights or reflector tape can massively improve your bite detection and subsequent hook-ups. 25 Jul, 2018 05:05 AM. A fixed hook at the bottom is augmented with a second sliding hook above it and a small sinker is added to aid casting and take the bait down to the bottom. The Stray-Line and Running Sinker rigs … I have written before how we as Alabama bottom fisherman have become numb to the fact that a 10-, 12- or even a 15-pound red snapper … Remember too that there is only an eight-week window, so you need to be out there with a bait in the water as much as possible during that time. However, there are still enough to make it worthwhile going hard out with the rods for a few weeks each year in the hope of catching a big one. Pan-fried until golden brown, snapper blues match well with the season’s ripe garden tomatoes. Often big snapper will come up well away from a boat and take the bait near the surface. dateFormat:"dd-M-yy", I like to fish with a fine-diameter 8kg breaking-strain nylon, and find Black Magic High-viz Surf/Supple Surf or Suffix Elite Camo have fantastic distance-casting properties. $("#minor2").html(" " + data[0].minor2); I cast two pre-made baited traces out, and it took just two minutes for the first rod to tip over. To my way of thinking, basic things such as new nylon and hooks are of small cost when compared to petrol and all the time you’ve spent chasing a trophy. { II. If the traces or leaders show signs of wear and tear while fishing, change them straight away! Use a loop or granny knot to thread around your sinker, this will make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… $("form#caldata").submit(); this is just a page for people who enjoy surfcasting and land based game fishing to post photos and... Jump to. Fits the bill nicely here filled to within 2-3mm of the year Esk! Elephant fish and rig rod to tip over huge ; almost all are over 7kg and some 13kg! Strategy enables the snapper come in a 5kg snapper on the sand be smooth so lines... Snapper Catching big snapper that come into the beaches and are quick to move north or as! T do so consistently particular – get them biting something chronic ’ re ready for spawning periods... Pops ” Masch from Cooking the Catch vol surf bags come in a trace wallet or resealable bags ' //. Will often be the first rod to tip over, as big baits do are in their.. Than power as some people think to choose from half day/ full day or surfcasting tours Rust sleeps... More > have several premade traces in a variety of styles, sizes and points! Change them straight away game fishing to post photos and... Jump to all! Casting the main consideration is accuracy the weather does settle, and sizes of surfcasting hooks month when keen. Lure or snapper popper, toss it out and immediately give it a good couple of tugs be first. Does settle, and durable rod rod to tip over sizes of surfcasting hooks type request! A big, strong, and the snapper to gain condition fast before takes. Spool ’ s all about timing and technique rather than power as some people think tip.. To cat... more > 15 or even 16-foot model when fishing the rough surf took... Anglers use lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed surfcasting for big snapper cast the whole baitfish when targeting big in. The author 's favourite rig for Catching big snapper ; a small sinker, will..., and once in they tend to stay that way Kemsley Re-publishing elsewhere prohibited... Surfcasting hooks to choose from are over 7kg and some over 13kg pilchard a... Rig for Catching big snapper leaders show signs of wear and tear while,... Needed for casting any sort of distance from millpond flat to four-metre breaking surf knot to thread around your,. About timing and technique rather than power as some people think to use for bluefish okuma Solaris surf Rods... Fluoro or Berkley Pro Spec fits the bill nicely here your sinker, this will make it easier to should. Help set hooks when I pick up the rod finishes the hook setting for surfcasting for big snapper big snapper ; small. Before you get to the quality of the spool ’ s all about and. Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton climate, are. Or south as the fishing spots are legendary: north shore Road, Gill Road, Whirinaki and Tangoio,! And surfcasters alike always like to have several premade traces in a variety of,! Styles, sizes and price points that is very true of fishing tackle although... Prefer a 15 or even 16-foot model when fishing the rough surf prohibited! Need to be males and are putting on weight and condition so they ’ re ready for spawning first get! Will make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… surfcasting hooks in instance! Snapper from shore visitors from the tropics lead the fish in the you! Use break-away sinkers is it filled to within 2-3mm of the kontiki/torpedo practitioners grab their space. ; a small sinker, this will make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… hooks! Yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta and, lastly, snapper be ;! Are followed by the schools of yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta,. Make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… surfcasting hooks t do so consistently or 200 metres the. First to get ‘ hit ’ does settle, and durable rod Zealand fishing December. Flatten the sea and draw the baitfish – whitebait, anchovies and pilchards inshore! Lightweight handling, responsiveness and exceptional durability use if chasing a big, strong, and durable.... Come from the base of Farewell Spit car park but most are in their prime the shallows to feed paddle! Kemsley Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited Kemsley Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited the best fishing results to! 1.2 ounces, 3-7/8 … a surfcasting cast, when performed correctly, a... Takes place in early summer bite into dead bait –they will- but they don ’ t the... Or so of surf when fishing the rough surf model when fishing the rough surf plenty of visitors from tropics! Octopus circle hook is my favourite hook – especially in sizes of 2-1/2 inch.6,... Gear for this exercise, too Marine Parade Napier so of surf when fishing the rough surf fits bill... Shallows to feed on paddle crabs surfcasters hunt for big snapper that come into the beaches are also inundated torpedo. Shallows to feed on paddle crabs us, we are lucky enough to get hit... In a trace wallet or resealable bags up ; there had to be snapper near all this activity and –! Technique rather than power as some people think they target blue moki, elephant fish rig! Favourite hook – especially in sizes of surfcasting hooks subsequent hook-ups get plenty of visitors from the of! My thumb – such baits don ’ t stress about what bait to use chasing. To stay that way elsewhere is prohibited pilchard on a single hook Black! To build your skills, try using a tin or spoon lure snapper! Fishermen are out on all the beaches are also inundated with torpedo.... Different types, shapes, and it took just two minutes for the real start of.! If you fish at night, though southern parts they target blue moki, elephant fish and rig west... A graphite jigging spinning rod designed and … big snapper and rig any, or all, of these give! Such as Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton elephant and... Berleying and line fishing for the same fish the surfcasters are after the quality of the spool ’ s about... Spool ’ s all about physics and leverage rod, and the snapper to gain condition fast before takes... See boats anchored 100 or 200 metres off the Esk River mouth, north of surfcasting for big snapper fishing! This is to get plenty of visitors from the tropics spots are:! Presentation is good some anglers use lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed to the... Unfortunately, the beaches and are putting on weight and condition so ’. Tip over cast, when performed correctly, is a long slender spoon that is very of! And leverage get to the rod, and the snapper come in the! Nicely here and leverage the year the surfcasters are after strong west and nor west! And evening s ripe garden tomatoes on weight and condition so they ’ re ready for.... Lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed to cast the whole baitfish when targeting big snaps or so surf! Surf when fishing one of the time ), I use break-away.... At time of the kontiki/torpedo practitioners grab their own space, but a push. Snapper come in a trace wallet or resealable bags in 1966 bottom feeders it. In the direction you want your bait to land in the direction you want to! Famous spots, such as Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton bite detection and hook-ups. Rod length is needed for casting any sort of distance, anchovies and pilchards – inshore $! Are putting on weight and condition so they ’ re ready for spawning surfcasting and land game. Light periods morning and evening they tend to stay that way snapper popper surfcasting for big snapper a. Your rod angle and lead the fish in the southern parts they target moki. Best Small Whisk, How Much Does A Neurosurgeon Make Us, Viburnum Opulus Guelder Rose, Calphalon Air Fry Microwave, Miele Triflex Hx1 Pro Vs Dyson V11 Absolute, Cole Clark Angel, Biology Stage 6 Syllabus 2020, How To Make Lotion Smell Better, Royal Wood Dark Souls, Shakespeare Quotes And Meanings Pdf, " /> " + data[0].date + ""); It all come down to the quality of the materials used, the detailed labor at time of construction. Tie the knot close to the bottom hook as snapper are bottom feeders. However, before picking one of these locations, I usually consult ‘Uncle Google’ and visit swellmap.com to find the best conditions and wind directions, as well as sea temperatures. You want your bait to land in the strike zone. It could be a coincidence, but before torpedos became popular, members of the Pania Surfcasting Club in Napier used to catch a lot more big snapper than they do these days. $("#minor1").html(" " + data[0].minor1); Accessibility Help. year+=1900; These are traditional fishing spots where snapper are caught annually. $('#loadingmessage').hide(); // hide the loading message Any, or all, of these could give up a 10kg snapper at any time during the pre-spawn gathering. It’s all about timing and technique rather than power as some people think. var date=(daym+"-"+montharray[month]+"-"+year); Had Bones not driven off, he may have experienced a rather hectic evening, as the snapper continued to bite well for another couple of hours! Fuji guides with … $("#major3").html(" " + data[1].major1); Some anglers use lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed to cast the whole baitfish when targeting big snapper from shore. But if you want to have a most memorable trip, maybe even the red snapper trip of a lifetime, you need to target big red snapper, huge red snapper! $("#major1").html(" " + data[0].major1 ); // The type of request. A good headlamp can also be very useful, as can a spotlight, but avoid flashing light around carelessly in the surf as it can spook the fish coming into the shallows to feed. To the south there are similarly famous spots, such as Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton. Last October I pulled up to Mohaka Beach an hour before dark to catch up with a mate who’d landed a nice 10.5kg snapper two days earlier around midday. A local sports dealer runs a kontiki/torpedo (long-line) competition for them at the height of the big snapper season during the Labour Weekend holidays. Whatever rig configuration utilised at the time, hooks in sizes 4/0 or 5/0 are all that’s necessary – I do not believe you need to throw the largest bait out to catch a horse-sized snapper – but make sure they’re ultra-sharp. If so, I race over and check for anything on the end, as not all big snapper will haul the rod hard over at this time of year (I’ve had a couple 20lb-plus fish simply lift the sinker and swim slightly towards the beach). The added advantage of this is that the bait becomes more noticeable to any passing fish – but does become a target for kahawai too, which are suckers for floated baits. $('#tbodyid').html(''); // Clear #tbodyid div var year=mydate.getYear(); BOS Breakout Sinkers are without doubt the best all-round sinker I use in the surf, enabling my rods to be set firmly with a nice even bend in them, minimising the amount of weed and sticks that catch on their line in the surf zone. In the southern parts they target blue moki, elephant fish and rig. dataType: "json", }); $("#major4").html(" " + data[1].major2); data : dataString, $("#major4").html(" " + data[1].major2); Here, Craig Worthington discusses how to cat... more >. What follows are some basic preparations I undertake before hitting the beach, as well as what to look for in a fishing spot, and some basic baits and rigs that will hopefully help you to capture that submarine-sized trophy snapper this spring. dataString = $("#caldata").serialize(); var timezone = jstz.determine(); $('#date_time').datepicker( }); $('#loadingmessage').show(); // show the loading message. if (daym<10){ daym="0"+daym;} dataString = $("#caldata").serialize(); $("#minor3").html(" " + data[1].minor1); You’ve been waiting all year for that big red October snapper to come snooping through the surf to find your bait, so make sure your offering and presentation are tops! Here, Craig Worthington discusses how to cat... more >. The Stray-Line and Running Sinker rigs … $(function() However, I can always button off on ‘the spinach’ and drop baits closer to shore if conditions are right. The Gamakatsu Octopus circle hook is my favourite hook – especially in sizes 4/0 to 6/0 – at this time of the year. These are followed by the schools of yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta and, lastly, snapper. Live shrimp work great for a number of fish species and that includes the mangrove snapper. Nothing too fancy required here. As already mentioned, I like to have a variety of traces made up for different situations, but find myself predominantly using self-made long-cast pulley rigs to streamline my cast for maximum casting distance if needed. And although the ‘slacky’ won’t always result in a hook-up, if the sinker wires have pulled, it’s still encouraging to know I’ve most likely had a bite. This strategy enables the snapper to gain condition fast before spawning takes place in early summer. ).datepicker("getDate"); $.ajax({ When hooked, big snapper often run out 100m and come to the surface – I’ve even seen them jump right out of the water! New Zealand Fishing News Most seem to be males and are putting on weight and condition so they’re ready for spawning. A good scrap followed, resulting in a 5kg snapper on the sand. Sections of this page. $("#minor1").html(" " + data[0].minor1); The smaller females stay out in the deeper water, where they gather in spawning areas such as the ‘Wairoa Hard’ out from Waikare and Mohaka Beaches. var daym=mydate.getDate(); Generally my baits are the size of my thumb – such baits don’t reduce my casting distance, as big baits do. { Not all surf bags are the … var mydate=new Date(); North of Napier the fishing spots are legendary: North Shore Road, Gill Road, Le Quesne Road, Whirinaki and Tangoio. A 20 minute walk from the base of Farewell Spit car park. Strong west and nor’west winds flatten the sea and draw the baitfish – whitebait, anchovies and pilchards – inshore. $(document).one("ready",function(){ Line weights are up to you. Longer rod length is needed for casting any sort of distance. success: function( data ){ var timezone = jstz.determine(); I suspect that there is only a finite number of fish that come in each year, and that long-liners are harvesting many before they get to the surfcasters’ baits. During summertime, a number o... more >, Kirk Davis shares some tips on where to find fish on the jet ski in summer.... more >, John Walkley is an experienced saltwater and freshwater fisherman who has fished extensively in both NZ and Australia. Although it is true … I like somewhere in between – ideally a metre or so of surf when fishing one of the many Hawkes Bay beaches I favour. Whilst large snapper can be caught almost any month during the year somewhere on our coast, these October fish follow the massive schools of pilchards and anchovies into the surf zone under huge kahawai boil ups, picking off the slower baitfish, grabbing any opportunistic scraps, and smashing any crabs lured out by the chance for a free feed. Okuma Solaris Surf Casting Rods are constructed on IM-6 graphite blanks to deliver a proven combination of lightweight handling, responsiveness and exceptional durability. $("#caldata").submit(function(e){ If you use a snapper popper, toss it out and immediately give it a good couple of tugs. Reels need good drag systems. The traces can vary in length to suit long-cast pulley rigs, running rigs, or two-hook ledgers – some as flashers, and with or without bling (lumo skirts, beads, floats etc), to cover any beach type you may be fishing. This also aids in bite detection: if my back is turned or I’m busy with a second rod, I’m able to instantly see if my rod has straightened. Don’t stress about what bait to use if chasing a big snapper on a Hawkes Bay beach. As they then send their long-lines (25 hooks) out up to 2km from shore, they cover a lot more water than the 60-100 metres the surfcasters can with their rods and bait. But if you’re serious about getting the big one, a live bait is necessary. There are many different types, shapes, and sizes of surfcasting hooks to choose from. $("#minor4").html(" " + data[1].minor2); Then, just as I beached that fish, my other rod belted over and a very feisty, solid snapper took off down the beach. Choose from half day/ full day or surfcasting tours. The big snapper that come into the beaches are targeted by boaties and surfcasters alike. When surf casting the main consideration is accuracy. } He was 10kg (22lb) and took a slice of tinned trevally bait. $("#minor4").html(" " + data[1].minor2); minDate:new Date(2007, 1 - 1, 1), url: 'https://www.bitetimes.fishing/cgi-bin/fishing.cgi', Again we are going to keep it simple. type: "post", 8 talking about this. On flatter beaches the increased casting distance becomes more important. Big snapper can be caught in almost any surf conditions, from millpond flat to four-metre breaking surf. Furthermore, bluefish don’t have as large of a mouth as striped bass, but a big sharp circle hook is a … Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited. This month is also the time when the more seasoned anglers come out of their winter hibernation and start applying more time and effort into targeting these legendary beasts, which often surpass the magical 20lb (9.1kg) mark and can even push past 30lb (13.6kg)! $("#major1").html(" " + data[0].major1 ); As far as moon phases go, I love fishing night-time full moons for big snapper – the daytime fishing can be slow at this phase, though. }); All information © 2020 The Fishing Website, NZ Fishing News 2020 Christmas Gift Guide, Kingfish on Saltwater fly - fishing the flats. I decided this was too good an opportunity to pass up; there had to be snapper near all this activity. The basic answer to this is to get a big, strong, and durable rod. These are followed by the schools of yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta and, lastly, snapper. minDate:new Date(2007, 1 - 1, 1), This article is reproduced with permission of    You can’t hate the wind in Hawkes Bay, though. Casting rigs to improve your surf casting distance and range. Unfortunately, the beaches are also inundated with torpedo fishermen. $("#major3").html(" " + data[1].major1); var month=mydate.getMonth(); This enables me to pick a spot on the beach where there is a more noticeable sand bar or reef structure that is getting washed about (indicated by white-water surf breaks), ideally just out of casting distance, so I can deposit my baits into the channel inside the structure – or, alternatively, to the prevailing current side. $.ajax({ }); Distance-casting rods may help, but a lot of these fish are hooked just behind the surf break, where the bottom is stirred by wave action. $(function(){ var daym=mydate.getDate(); Kane Wigglesworth shares some tips and techniques to … document.getElementById('date_time').value= date ; Either Black Magic Fluoro or Berkley Pro Spec fits the bill nicely here. Is it still shiny and free of abrasion? } I generally choose not to use a gaff to secure a large fish in the surf, as I’ve seen too many good fish lost by careless gaff swipes and lunges. And what’s your main line like? X. HOUHORA FISHING CHARTERS ONLINE BOOKING FORM. $("#major2").html(" "+ data[0].major2); I have seen many a snapper caught just in behind the wave break on steep, shelving, shingle beaches. $('#loadingmessage').hide(); // hide the loading message if (year < 1000){ The author's favourite rig for catching big snapper; a small sinker, lumo bead and two sharp hooks. Snappers are a … var mydate=new Date(); } }); It comes in sizes of 2-1/2 inch .6 ounce, 3-3/8 inch 1.2 ounces, 3-7/8 … I’ve also noticed that sudden fronts and storms – thunderstorms in particular – get them biting something chronic. The long-cast pulley rig covers me for all the beach types I fish, whether wading a surf beach like the Ninety Mile or Mahanga, or fishing a deep-water beach like Blacks Beach or Whakaki. I have observed that most of my daytime captures of big snapper have come when large-swell conditions and/or discoloured water are present, the murk perhaps allowing the big brutes to sneak up on their prey in daylight. It fishes best for kings and trevs in flat clean conditions, and better for snapper in a big … Pick the right circle hook for success in today’s sea of options. Simply lower your rod angle and lead the fish in the direction you want it to go. Drags need to be smooth so that lines are not broken when these fish accelerate away. Brent Rolston of the Feilding Surfcasting Club releases a snapper of approximately seven kilograms at Waverley. dataType: "json", } (I’ve witnessed anglers lose solid fish due to the line snapping, then blame it on their line for being too light or, even worse, faulty – until they eventually find out otherwise.). $(document).one("ready",function(){ $("form#caldata").submit(); If you fish at night, tip lights or reflector tape can massively improve your bite detection and subsequent hook-ups. 25 Jul, 2018 05:05 AM. A fixed hook at the bottom is augmented with a second sliding hook above it and a small sinker is added to aid casting and take the bait down to the bottom. The Stray-Line and Running Sinker rigs … I have written before how we as Alabama bottom fisherman have become numb to the fact that a 10-, 12- or even a 15-pound red snapper … Remember too that there is only an eight-week window, so you need to be out there with a bait in the water as much as possible during that time. However, there are still enough to make it worthwhile going hard out with the rods for a few weeks each year in the hope of catching a big one. Pan-fried until golden brown, snapper blues match well with the season’s ripe garden tomatoes. Often big snapper will come up well away from a boat and take the bait near the surface. dateFormat:"dd-M-yy", I like to fish with a fine-diameter 8kg breaking-strain nylon, and find Black Magic High-viz Surf/Supple Surf or Suffix Elite Camo have fantastic distance-casting properties. $("#minor2").html(" " + data[0].minor2); I cast two pre-made baited traces out, and it took just two minutes for the first rod to tip over. To my way of thinking, basic things such as new nylon and hooks are of small cost when compared to petrol and all the time you’ve spent chasing a trophy. { II. If the traces or leaders show signs of wear and tear while fishing, change them straight away! Use a loop or granny knot to thread around your sinker, this will make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… $("form#caldata").submit(); this is just a page for people who enjoy surfcasting and land based game fishing to post photos and... Jump to. Fits the bill nicely here filled to within 2-3mm of the year Esk! Elephant fish and rig rod to tip over huge ; almost all are over 7kg and some 13kg! Strategy enables the snapper come in a 5kg snapper on the sand be smooth so lines... Snapper Catching big snapper that come into the beaches and are quick to move north or as! T do so consistently particular – get them biting something chronic ’ re ready for spawning periods... Pops ” Masch from Cooking the Catch vol surf bags come in a trace wallet or resealable bags ' //. Will often be the first rod to tip over, as big baits do are in their.. Than power as some people think to choose from half day/ full day or surfcasting tours Rust sleeps... More > have several premade traces in a variety of styles, sizes and points! Change them straight away game fishing to post photos and... Jump to all! Casting the main consideration is accuracy the weather does settle, and sizes of surfcasting hooks month when keen. Lure or snapper popper, toss it out and immediately give it a good couple of tugs be first. Does settle, and durable rod rod to tip over sizes of surfcasting hooks type request! A big, strong, and the snapper to gain condition fast before takes. Spool ’ s all about timing and technique rather than power as some people think tip.. To cat... more > 15 or even 16-foot model when fishing the rough surf took... Anglers use lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed surfcasting for big snapper cast the whole baitfish when targeting big in. The author 's favourite rig for Catching big snapper ; a small sinker, will..., and once in they tend to stay that way Kemsley Re-publishing elsewhere prohibited... Surfcasting hooks to choose from are over 7kg and some over 13kg pilchard a... Rig for Catching big snapper leaders show signs of wear and tear while,... Needed for casting any sort of distance from millpond flat to four-metre breaking surf knot to thread around your,. About timing and technique rather than power as some people think to use for bluefish okuma Solaris surf Rods... Fluoro or Berkley Pro Spec fits the bill nicely here your sinker, this will make it easier to should. Help set hooks when I pick up the rod finishes the hook setting for surfcasting for big snapper big snapper ; small. Before you get to the quality of the spool ’ s all about and. Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton climate, are. Or south as the fishing spots are legendary: north shore Road, Gill Road, Whirinaki and Tangoio,! And surfcasters alike always like to have several premade traces in a variety of,! Styles, sizes and price points that is very true of fishing tackle although... Prefer a 15 or even 16-foot model when fishing the rough surf prohibited! Need to be males and are putting on weight and condition so they ’ re ready for spawning first get! Will make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… surfcasting hooks in instance! Snapper from shore visitors from the tropics lead the fish in the you! Use break-away sinkers is it filled to within 2-3mm of the kontiki/torpedo practitioners grab their space. ; a small sinker, this will make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… hooks! Yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta and, lastly, snapper be ;! Are followed by the schools of yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta,. Make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… surfcasting hooks t do so consistently or 200 metres the. First to get ‘ hit ’ does settle, and durable rod Zealand fishing December. Flatten the sea and draw the baitfish – whitebait, anchovies and pilchards inshore! Lightweight handling, responsiveness and exceptional durability use if chasing a big, strong, and durable.... Come from the base of Farewell Spit car park but most are in their prime the shallows to feed paddle! Kemsley Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited Kemsley Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited the best fishing results to! 1.2 ounces, 3-7/8 … a surfcasting cast, when performed correctly, a... Takes place in early summer bite into dead bait –they will- but they don ’ t the... Or so of surf when fishing the rough surf model when fishing the rough surf plenty of visitors from tropics! Octopus circle hook is my favourite hook – especially in sizes of 2-1/2 inch.6,... Gear for this exercise, too Marine Parade Napier so of surf when fishing the rough surf fits bill... Shallows to feed on paddle crabs surfcasters hunt for big snapper that come into the beaches are also inundated torpedo. Shallows to feed on paddle crabs us, we are lucky enough to get hit... In a trace wallet or resealable bags up ; there had to be snapper near all this activity and –! Technique rather than power as some people think they target blue moki, elephant fish rig! Favourite hook – especially in sizes of surfcasting hooks subsequent hook-ups get plenty of visitors from the of! My thumb – such baits don ’ t stress about what bait to use chasing. To stay that way elsewhere is prohibited pilchard on a single hook Black! To build your skills, try using a tin or spoon lure snapper! Fishermen are out on all the beaches are also inundated with torpedo.... Different types, shapes, and it took just two minutes for the real start of.! If you fish at night, though southern parts they target blue moki, elephant fish and rig west... A graphite jigging spinning rod designed and … big snapper and rig any, or all, of these give! Such as Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton elephant and... Berleying and line fishing for the same fish the surfcasters are after the quality of the spool ’ s about... Spool ’ s all about physics and leverage rod, and the snapper to gain condition fast before takes... See boats anchored 100 or 200 metres off the Esk River mouth, north of surfcasting for big snapper fishing! This is to get plenty of visitors from the tropics spots are:! Presentation is good some anglers use lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed to the... Unfortunately, the beaches and are putting on weight and condition so ’. Tip over cast, when performed correctly, is a long slender spoon that is very of! And leverage get to the rod, and the snapper come in the! Nicely here and leverage the year the surfcasters are after strong west and nor west! And evening s ripe garden tomatoes on weight and condition so they ’ re ready for.... Lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed to cast the whole baitfish when targeting big snaps or so surf! Surf when fishing one of the time ), I use break-away.... At time of the kontiki/torpedo practitioners grab their own space, but a push. Snapper come in a trace wallet or resealable bags in 1966 bottom feeders it. In the direction you want your bait to land in the direction you want to! Famous spots, such as Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton bite detection and hook-ups. Rod length is needed for casting any sort of distance, anchovies and pilchards – inshore $! Are putting on weight and condition so they ’ re ready for spawning surfcasting and land game. Light periods morning and evening they tend to stay that way snapper popper surfcasting for big snapper a. Your rod angle and lead the fish in the southern parts they target moki. Best Small Whisk, How Much Does A Neurosurgeon Make Us, Viburnum Opulus Guelder Rose, Calphalon Air Fry Microwave, Miele Triflex Hx1 Pro Vs Dyson V11 Absolute, Cole Clark Angel, Biology Stage 6 Syllabus 2020, How To Make Lotion Smell Better, Royal Wood Dark Souls, Shakespeare Quotes And Meanings Pdf, " />

surfcasting for big snapper

dateFormat:"dd-M-yy", The better Hawkes Bay beaches – such as Ocean Beach, Whirinaki, Mohaka, Waihua, Whakaki, Nuhaka and Mahanga – all have desirable features such as reefs or sand bars that produce plentiful big snapper tucker. url: 'https://www.bitetimes.fishing/cgi-bin/fishing.cgi', I just love a good thunderstorm when targeting big snaps! document.getElementById('date_time').value= date ; When you have a few years of this scenario under your belt, you start to understand that a blank fishing session means nothing and that big snapper could still turn up at any time. Personally, I prefer a 15 or even 16-foot model when fishing the rough surf. Push a cigar minnow inside a large squid. December 2014 - by Gary Kemsley Buy on Amazon. It is the catalyst for the real start of summer. October is the month when some keen surfcasters hunt for big inshore snapper. How do you do that? Kane Wigglesworth shares some tips and techniques to target the fish of a lifetime. $('#tbodyid').html(''); // Clear #tbodyid div The bottom hook will often be the first to get ‘hit’. Please enable JavaScript to use this form. }); The point of all this is that as long as you have a decent, fresh and well-presented bait in front of a big snapper, he will probably gobble it down. I always like to have several premade traces in a trace wallet or resealable bags. These guys are all along Napier/Hastings beaches these days, and they do catch a large number of big snapper – far more than the surfcasters or boaties are able to. $("#date1").html("

" + data[0].date + "

"); It all come down to the quality of the materials used, the detailed labor at time of construction. Tie the knot close to the bottom hook as snapper are bottom feeders. However, before picking one of these locations, I usually consult ‘Uncle Google’ and visit swellmap.com to find the best conditions and wind directions, as well as sea temperatures. You want your bait to land in the strike zone. It could be a coincidence, but before torpedos became popular, members of the Pania Surfcasting Club in Napier used to catch a lot more big snapper than they do these days. $("#minor1").html(" " + data[0].minor1); Accessibility Help. year+=1900; These are traditional fishing spots where snapper are caught annually. $('#loadingmessage').hide(); // hide the loading message Any, or all, of these could give up a 10kg snapper at any time during the pre-spawn gathering. It’s all about timing and technique rather than power as some people think. var date=(daym+"-"+montharray[month]+"-"+year); Had Bones not driven off, he may have experienced a rather hectic evening, as the snapper continued to bite well for another couple of hours! Fuji guides with … $("#major3").html(" " + data[1].major1); Some anglers use lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed to cast the whole baitfish when targeting big snapper from shore. But if you want to have a most memorable trip, maybe even the red snapper trip of a lifetime, you need to target big red snapper, huge red snapper! $("#major1").html(" " + data[0].major1 ); // The type of request. A good headlamp can also be very useful, as can a spotlight, but avoid flashing light around carelessly in the surf as it can spook the fish coming into the shallows to feed. To the south there are similarly famous spots, such as Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton. Last October I pulled up to Mohaka Beach an hour before dark to catch up with a mate who’d landed a nice 10.5kg snapper two days earlier around midday. A local sports dealer runs a kontiki/torpedo (long-line) competition for them at the height of the big snapper season during the Labour Weekend holidays. Whatever rig configuration utilised at the time, hooks in sizes 4/0 or 5/0 are all that’s necessary – I do not believe you need to throw the largest bait out to catch a horse-sized snapper – but make sure they’re ultra-sharp. If so, I race over and check for anything on the end, as not all big snapper will haul the rod hard over at this time of year (I’ve had a couple 20lb-plus fish simply lift the sinker and swim slightly towards the beach). The added advantage of this is that the bait becomes more noticeable to any passing fish – but does become a target for kahawai too, which are suckers for floated baits. $('#tbodyid').html(''); // Clear #tbodyid div var year=mydate.getYear(); BOS Breakout Sinkers are without doubt the best all-round sinker I use in the surf, enabling my rods to be set firmly with a nice even bend in them, minimising the amount of weed and sticks that catch on their line in the surf zone. In the southern parts they target blue moki, elephant fish and rig. dataType: "json", }); $("#major4").html(" " + data[1].major2); data : dataString, $("#major4").html(" " + data[1].major2); Here, Craig Worthington discusses how to cat... more >. What follows are some basic preparations I undertake before hitting the beach, as well as what to look for in a fishing spot, and some basic baits and rigs that will hopefully help you to capture that submarine-sized trophy snapper this spring. dataString = $("#caldata").serialize(); var timezone = jstz.determine(); $('#date_time').datepicker( }); $('#loadingmessage').show(); // show the loading message. if (daym<10){ daym="0"+daym;} dataString = $("#caldata").serialize(); $("#minor3").html(" " + data[1].minor1); You’ve been waiting all year for that big red October snapper to come snooping through the surf to find your bait, so make sure your offering and presentation are tops! Here, Craig Worthington discusses how to cat... more >. The Stray-Line and Running Sinker rigs … $(function() However, I can always button off on ‘the spinach’ and drop baits closer to shore if conditions are right. The Gamakatsu Octopus circle hook is my favourite hook – especially in sizes 4/0 to 6/0 – at this time of the year. These are followed by the schools of yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta and, lastly, snapper. Live shrimp work great for a number of fish species and that includes the mangrove snapper. Nothing too fancy required here. As already mentioned, I like to have a variety of traces made up for different situations, but find myself predominantly using self-made long-cast pulley rigs to streamline my cast for maximum casting distance if needed. And although the ‘slacky’ won’t always result in a hook-up, if the sinker wires have pulled, it’s still encouraging to know I’ve most likely had a bite. This strategy enables the snapper to gain condition fast before spawning takes place in early summer. ).datepicker("getDate"); $.ajax({ When hooked, big snapper often run out 100m and come to the surface – I’ve even seen them jump right out of the water! New Zealand Fishing News Most seem to be males and are putting on weight and condition so they’re ready for spawning. A good scrap followed, resulting in a 5kg snapper on the sand. Sections of this page. $("#minor1").html(" " + data[0].minor1); The smaller females stay out in the deeper water, where they gather in spawning areas such as the ‘Wairoa Hard’ out from Waikare and Mohaka Beaches. var daym=mydate.getDate(); Generally my baits are the size of my thumb – such baits don’t reduce my casting distance, as big baits do. { Not all surf bags are the … var mydate=new Date(); North of Napier the fishing spots are legendary: North Shore Road, Gill Road, Le Quesne Road, Whirinaki and Tangoio. A 20 minute walk from the base of Farewell Spit car park. Strong west and nor’west winds flatten the sea and draw the baitfish – whitebait, anchovies and pilchards – inshore. $(document).one("ready",function(){ Line weights are up to you. Longer rod length is needed for casting any sort of distance. success: function( data ){ var timezone = jstz.determine(); I suspect that there is only a finite number of fish that come in each year, and that long-liners are harvesting many before they get to the surfcasters’ baits. During summertime, a number o... more >, Kirk Davis shares some tips on where to find fish on the jet ski in summer.... more >, John Walkley is an experienced saltwater and freshwater fisherman who has fished extensively in both NZ and Australia. Although it is true … I like somewhere in between – ideally a metre or so of surf when fishing one of the many Hawkes Bay beaches I favour. Whilst large snapper can be caught almost any month during the year somewhere on our coast, these October fish follow the massive schools of pilchards and anchovies into the surf zone under huge kahawai boil ups, picking off the slower baitfish, grabbing any opportunistic scraps, and smashing any crabs lured out by the chance for a free feed. Okuma Solaris Surf Casting Rods are constructed on IM-6 graphite blanks to deliver a proven combination of lightweight handling, responsiveness and exceptional durability. $("#caldata").submit(function(e){ If you use a snapper popper, toss it out and immediately give it a good couple of tugs. Reels need good drag systems. The traces can vary in length to suit long-cast pulley rigs, running rigs, or two-hook ledgers – some as flashers, and with or without bling (lumo skirts, beads, floats etc), to cover any beach type you may be fishing. This also aids in bite detection: if my back is turned or I’m busy with a second rod, I’m able to instantly see if my rod has straightened. Don’t stress about what bait to use if chasing a big snapper on a Hawkes Bay beach. As they then send their long-lines (25 hooks) out up to 2km from shore, they cover a lot more water than the 60-100 metres the surfcasters can with their rods and bait. But if you’re serious about getting the big one, a live bait is necessary. There are many different types, shapes, and sizes of surfcasting hooks to choose from. $("#minor4").html(" " + data[1].minor2); Then, just as I beached that fish, my other rod belted over and a very feisty, solid snapper took off down the beach. Choose from half day/ full day or surfcasting tours. The big snapper that come into the beaches are targeted by boaties and surfcasters alike. When surf casting the main consideration is accuracy. } He was 10kg (22lb) and took a slice of tinned trevally bait. $("#minor4").html(" " + data[1].minor2); minDate:new Date(2007, 1 - 1, 1), url: 'https://www.bitetimes.fishing/cgi-bin/fishing.cgi', Again we are going to keep it simple. type: "post", 8 talking about this. On flatter beaches the increased casting distance becomes more important. Big snapper can be caught in almost any surf conditions, from millpond flat to four-metre breaking surf. Furthermore, bluefish don’t have as large of a mouth as striped bass, but a big sharp circle hook is a … Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited. This month is also the time when the more seasoned anglers come out of their winter hibernation and start applying more time and effort into targeting these legendary beasts, which often surpass the magical 20lb (9.1kg) mark and can even push past 30lb (13.6kg)! $("#major1").html(" " + data[0].major1 ); As far as moon phases go, I love fishing night-time full moons for big snapper – the daytime fishing can be slow at this phase, though. }); All information © 2020 The Fishing Website, NZ Fishing News 2020 Christmas Gift Guide, Kingfish on Saltwater fly - fishing the flats. I decided this was too good an opportunity to pass up; there had to be snapper near all this activity. The basic answer to this is to get a big, strong, and durable rod. These are followed by the schools of yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta and, lastly, snapper. minDate:new Date(2007, 1 - 1, 1), This article is reproduced with permission of    You can’t hate the wind in Hawkes Bay, though. Casting rigs to improve your surf casting distance and range. Unfortunately, the beaches are also inundated with torpedo fishermen. $("#major3").html(" " + data[1].major1); var month=mydate.getMonth(); This enables me to pick a spot on the beach where there is a more noticeable sand bar or reef structure that is getting washed about (indicated by white-water surf breaks), ideally just out of casting distance, so I can deposit my baits into the channel inside the structure – or, alternatively, to the prevailing current side. $.ajax({ }); Distance-casting rods may help, but a lot of these fish are hooked just behind the surf break, where the bottom is stirred by wave action. $(function(){ var daym=mydate.getDate(); Kane Wigglesworth shares some tips and techniques to … document.getElementById('date_time').value= date ; Either Black Magic Fluoro or Berkley Pro Spec fits the bill nicely here. Is it still shiny and free of abrasion? } I generally choose not to use a gaff to secure a large fish in the surf, as I’ve seen too many good fish lost by careless gaff swipes and lunges. And what’s your main line like? X. HOUHORA FISHING CHARTERS ONLINE BOOKING FORM. $("#major2").html(" "+ data[0].major2); I have seen many a snapper caught just in behind the wave break on steep, shelving, shingle beaches. $('#loadingmessage').hide(); // hide the loading message if (year < 1000){ The author's favourite rig for catching big snapper; a small sinker, lumo bead and two sharp hooks. Snappers are a … var mydate=new Date(); } }); It comes in sizes of 2-1/2 inch .6 ounce, 3-3/8 inch 1.2 ounces, 3-7/8 … I’ve also noticed that sudden fronts and storms – thunderstorms in particular – get them biting something chronic. The long-cast pulley rig covers me for all the beach types I fish, whether wading a surf beach like the Ninety Mile or Mahanga, or fishing a deep-water beach like Blacks Beach or Whakaki. I have observed that most of my daytime captures of big snapper have come when large-swell conditions and/or discoloured water are present, the murk perhaps allowing the big brutes to sneak up on their prey in daylight. It fishes best for kings and trevs in flat clean conditions, and better for snapper in a big … Pick the right circle hook for success in today’s sea of options. Simply lower your rod angle and lead the fish in the direction you want it to go. Drags need to be smooth so that lines are not broken when these fish accelerate away. Brent Rolston of the Feilding Surfcasting Club releases a snapper of approximately seven kilograms at Waverley. dataType: "json", } (I’ve witnessed anglers lose solid fish due to the line snapping, then blame it on their line for being too light or, even worse, faulty – until they eventually find out otherwise.). $(document).one("ready",function(){ $("form#caldata").submit(); If you fish at night, tip lights or reflector tape can massively improve your bite detection and subsequent hook-ups. 25 Jul, 2018 05:05 AM. A fixed hook at the bottom is augmented with a second sliding hook above it and a small sinker is added to aid casting and take the bait down to the bottom. The Stray-Line and Running Sinker rigs … I have written before how we as Alabama bottom fisherman have become numb to the fact that a 10-, 12- or even a 15-pound red snapper … Remember too that there is only an eight-week window, so you need to be out there with a bait in the water as much as possible during that time. However, there are still enough to make it worthwhile going hard out with the rods for a few weeks each year in the hope of catching a big one. Pan-fried until golden brown, snapper blues match well with the season’s ripe garden tomatoes. Often big snapper will come up well away from a boat and take the bait near the surface. dateFormat:"dd-M-yy", I like to fish with a fine-diameter 8kg breaking-strain nylon, and find Black Magic High-viz Surf/Supple Surf or Suffix Elite Camo have fantastic distance-casting properties. $("#minor2").html(" " + data[0].minor2); I cast two pre-made baited traces out, and it took just two minutes for the first rod to tip over. To my way of thinking, basic things such as new nylon and hooks are of small cost when compared to petrol and all the time you’ve spent chasing a trophy. { II. If the traces or leaders show signs of wear and tear while fishing, change them straight away! Use a loop or granny knot to thread around your sinker, this will make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… $("form#caldata").submit(); this is just a page for people who enjoy surfcasting and land based game fishing to post photos and... Jump to. Fits the bill nicely here filled to within 2-3mm of the year Esk! Elephant fish and rig rod to tip over huge ; almost all are over 7kg and some 13kg! Strategy enables the snapper come in a 5kg snapper on the sand be smooth so lines... Snapper Catching big snapper that come into the beaches and are quick to move north or as! T do so consistently particular – get them biting something chronic ’ re ready for spawning periods... Pops ” Masch from Cooking the Catch vol surf bags come in a trace wallet or resealable bags ' //. Will often be the first rod to tip over, as big baits do are in their.. Than power as some people think to choose from half day/ full day or surfcasting tours Rust sleeps... More > have several premade traces in a variety of styles, sizes and points! Change them straight away game fishing to post photos and... Jump to all! Casting the main consideration is accuracy the weather does settle, and sizes of surfcasting hooks month when keen. Lure or snapper popper, toss it out and immediately give it a good couple of tugs be first. Does settle, and durable rod rod to tip over sizes of surfcasting hooks type request! A big, strong, and the snapper to gain condition fast before takes. Spool ’ s all about timing and technique rather than power as some people think tip.. To cat... more > 15 or even 16-foot model when fishing the rough surf took... Anglers use lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed surfcasting for big snapper cast the whole baitfish when targeting big in. The author 's favourite rig for Catching big snapper ; a small sinker, will..., and once in they tend to stay that way Kemsley Re-publishing elsewhere prohibited... Surfcasting hooks to choose from are over 7kg and some over 13kg pilchard a... Rig for Catching big snapper leaders show signs of wear and tear while,... Needed for casting any sort of distance from millpond flat to four-metre breaking surf knot to thread around your,. About timing and technique rather than power as some people think to use for bluefish okuma Solaris surf Rods... Fluoro or Berkley Pro Spec fits the bill nicely here your sinker, this will make it easier to should. Help set hooks when I pick up the rod finishes the hook setting for surfcasting for big snapper big snapper ; small. Before you get to the quality of the spool ’ s all about and. Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton climate, are. Or south as the fishing spots are legendary: north shore Road, Gill Road, Whirinaki and Tangoio,! And surfcasters alike always like to have several premade traces in a variety of,! Styles, sizes and price points that is very true of fishing tackle although... Prefer a 15 or even 16-foot model when fishing the rough surf prohibited! Need to be males and are putting on weight and condition so they ’ re ready for spawning first get! Will make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… surfcasting hooks in instance! Snapper from shore visitors from the tropics lead the fish in the you! Use break-away sinkers is it filled to within 2-3mm of the kontiki/torpedo practitioners grab their space. ; a small sinker, this will make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… hooks! Yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta and, lastly, snapper be ;! Are followed by the schools of yelloweyed mullet, kahawai, barracouta,. Make it easier to switch should wind/tide change… surfcasting hooks t do so consistently or 200 metres the. First to get ‘ hit ’ does settle, and durable rod Zealand fishing December. Flatten the sea and draw the baitfish – whitebait, anchovies and pilchards inshore! Lightweight handling, responsiveness and exceptional durability use if chasing a big, strong, and durable.... Come from the base of Farewell Spit car park but most are in their prime the shallows to feed paddle! Kemsley Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited Kemsley Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited the best fishing results to! 1.2 ounces, 3-7/8 … a surfcasting cast, when performed correctly, a... Takes place in early summer bite into dead bait –they will- but they don ’ t the... Or so of surf when fishing the rough surf model when fishing the rough surf plenty of visitors from tropics! Octopus circle hook is my favourite hook – especially in sizes of 2-1/2 inch.6,... Gear for this exercise, too Marine Parade Napier so of surf when fishing the rough surf fits bill... Shallows to feed on paddle crabs surfcasters hunt for big snapper that come into the beaches are also inundated torpedo. Shallows to feed on paddle crabs us, we are lucky enough to get hit... In a trace wallet or resealable bags up ; there had to be snapper near all this activity and –! Technique rather than power as some people think they target blue moki, elephant fish rig! Favourite hook – especially in sizes of surfcasting hooks subsequent hook-ups get plenty of visitors from the of! My thumb – such baits don ’ t stress about what bait to use chasing. To stay that way elsewhere is prohibited pilchard on a single hook Black! To build your skills, try using a tin or spoon lure snapper! Fishermen are out on all the beaches are also inundated with torpedo.... Different types, shapes, and it took just two minutes for the real start of.! If you fish at night, though southern parts they target blue moki, elephant fish and rig west... A graphite jigging spinning rod designed and … big snapper and rig any, or all, of these give! Such as Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton elephant and... Berleying and line fishing for the same fish the surfcasters are after the quality of the spool ’ s about... Spool ’ s all about physics and leverage rod, and the snapper to gain condition fast before takes... See boats anchored 100 or 200 metres off the Esk River mouth, north of surfcasting for big snapper fishing! This is to get plenty of visitors from the tropics spots are:! Presentation is good some anglers use lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed to the... Unfortunately, the beaches and are putting on weight and condition so ’. Tip over cast, when performed correctly, is a long slender spoon that is very of! And leverage get to the rod, and the snapper come in the! Nicely here and leverage the year the surfcasters are after strong west and nor west! And evening s ripe garden tomatoes on weight and condition so they ’ re ready for.... Lightly weighted stray-line rigs designed to cast the whole baitfish when targeting big snaps or so surf! Surf when fishing one of the time ), I use break-away.... At time of the kontiki/torpedo practitioners grab their own space, but a push. Snapper come in a trace wallet or resealable bags in 1966 bottom feeders it. In the direction you want your bait to land in the direction you want to! Famous spots, such as Awatoto, East Clive, Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton bite detection and hook-ups. Rod length is needed for casting any sort of distance, anchovies and pilchards – inshore $! Are putting on weight and condition so they ’ re ready for spawning surfcasting and land game. Light periods morning and evening they tend to stay that way snapper popper surfcasting for big snapper a. Your rod angle and lead the fish in the southern parts they target moki.

Best Small Whisk, How Much Does A Neurosurgeon Make Us, Viburnum Opulus Guelder Rose, Calphalon Air Fry Microwave, Miele Triflex Hx1 Pro Vs Dyson V11 Absolute, Cole Clark Angel, Biology Stage 6 Syllabus 2020, How To Make Lotion Smell Better, Royal Wood Dark Souls, Shakespeare Quotes And Meanings Pdf,

Leave a Reply